Child Specific Services


If your child has special needs due to developmental disabilities or a related condition and you need help with paying medical bills, you may apply for TEFRA (this is a financial program only).

TEFRA is Medical Assistance. To apply, call your local county Health and Human Services Agency and ask for the TEFRA worker. All regular medical assistance rules are followed under this program EXCEPT that parental income is not considered in determining the child's eligibility.

A monthly parental fee is assessed, based on income. If eligible, ask your eligibility specialist about cost effective insurance reimbursement.

Family Support Program

If you have needs, such as paying for special equipment or medical costs not covered by MA or insurance, respite care, day care or special equipment, you should apply for the Family Support Program. Contact your local County Health and Human Services agency to apply for this program.

A screening process must be completed and approved by the state. There are a limited number of program slots available and, even if eligible, your name may be placed on a waiting list.

Documentation is required and yearly reports are due in May of each year.
You may be on TEFRA and Family Support Program at the same time and may also get PCA services, if eligible. The program covers up to $200 per month for child needs or a yearly lump-sum for big items or one-time costs.


This is a coordinated set of activities for a student designed to meet the individual's needs. This promotes movement from school to post-school activities, including vocational training, integrated employment, community participation, residential or independent living services, and other adult services.

Transitions can begin about 14 years of age, no later than 16 years old. Goals should be developed in the school's IEP providing an outcome-oriented process.